Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hearts and Flowers

Hello everyone, I am Shirley from Stitcherydo blog and I am excited at finally joining in. I have been watching all your works of art unfolding and it has motivated me to get going. You have all been such an inspiration so, thank you.

I found Kim's patterns quite by chance whilst browsing for something else and I was immediately hooked. I sent off for several patterns and began hoarding those fabrics which I knew would come in handy one day and then I bought the Kaffe Fassett book that had the Hearts and Flowers quilt in it and that was it. Had to start it. It took some time though deciding on a background fabric and after a holiday where we saw some gaily painted gypsy caravans I thought why not do a darker background? I found the deep lavender colour at a show but still had doubts over it. Now that it is under way I think it will be ok. The more colour I add to it the more gypsyish it is looking.




I prepped the hearts way before I had a background colour chosen and at least that little bit is ready for applique.

>


Anyone who knows me knows that I love the colour pink and no matter how hard I try not to do a pink quilt, a pink quilt is usually the result. I can safely say that this is no exception. Inspite of all the various fabrics it still looks pink.

Happy stitching.

Shirley

19 comments:

  1. Oh girl...that is soooooo soooooo cute!! Great color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought that book last night for exactly this pattern. Now I just need to convince myself that I can tackle it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, it's not too pink. It is blooming with lots of lovely colors. Gorgeous so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since seeing what everyone is doing on this blog, I have become a fan of the pastels and softer colors. Yours is beautiful with all the pinks. I have been "turned" and might have to be adding more pinks to my palette! Thanks, Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty and the fussy cutting on your hearts is going to look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO pretty! Is the stitching a bit of quilting..or is it decorative? I love the hearts and the fussy cutting on the tongues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shirley
    Your block looks great so far and love your choice of background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO pretty, Shirley...good on you for getting started. This quilt is going to be so lovely!
    I'm still thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit of a Pinky, too - I love it!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. The stitching you can see is the outlining of the applique placing. I have drawn the design on the back of the block and then I am stitching/tacking on the drawn lines. It is quite laborious but it works. Thank you for your kind comments. It is spurring me on.
    Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilt will be gorgeous. The deep lavender looks wonderful with the fabrics you've chosen. And yes, it has a pink look to it. Before I saw your block I thought a pink and lavender block would result in a quilt for a girl,but yours is very sophisticated looking. Great job.
    How do you prep your applique?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful combination! THe background is great, as is your fussy cutting. Pink is good,and if you like it you like it. My color seems to be red. In fact, my granddaughter told me last summer, "Yiayia, you have entirely too much red!" Yep, it spills over into my quilts. No apologies necessary. I can't wait to see more and more and more!
    Brenda, still working on Block #1

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you always end up with a pink quilt..how cute! this will be an amazing quilt.. fun background color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, thats great - love the background fabric, it shows the gorgeous prints! Keep up the good work, Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  15. The background is gorgeous and perfect for the pinks you love. I think you'll achieve the look you're after and I can't wait to see this one grow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is going to be gorgeous Shirley, I love what you have already done. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all for your encouragement. Apologies if I don't get back to everyone personally.
    Shitley.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the background colour Shirley & it wouldn't be yours if it didn't have any pink now would it? Love all those fussy cut hearts :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. OK, you've done it. You pushed me over the edge, and I started this one. I'm not sure if I should say thank you or not?! ; ) Yours is LOVELY!!! That purple background is so/sew striking! And, those fussy cut hearts...?! Be still my beating heart!

    ReplyDelete