Friday, September 24, 2010

Prepping

I think I'll have my head down for awhile stitching stems. I thought I might as well prep the last two borders so I could put my brown fabrics away. I've drawn the pattern on the background with washable pens  with the pattern underneath and then used the Elmers washable school glue to attach the stems. If I let the glue dry, I don't need to iron them on and they stay put well enough.

I always cut my backgrounds with a pinking blade that I have in an old rotary cutter and then I never have to deal with stray threads. I wash my applique when it's finished if I've used glue. Prepping this way is easier than using a vinyl overlay for large sections.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a lot of applique....happy stitching!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, it staggers my mind.
    It's SO BIG ! ! !

    Hugs,
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those brown vines will stitch up right quick, Janet! Good job prepping them all at once. ; ) Just think...soon the FUN addition of CoLoRfUl leaves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a killer border and worth each little leaf. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait much longer-I want this pattern SOOOOO bad!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janet

    Where abouts in Australia do you buy the Elmers Glue?

    I was told by a quilting teacher that the glue in Roxanne's Glue is actually Crayola glue so i bought some Crayola glue and they do smell exactly the same but im a bit nervous about using it so was thinking of giving the Elmers Glue a go.

    Thanks Janet

    Adele xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet, what type of marker did you use on the left panel? It looks different than the blue washout marker.
    I don't usually even mark on my background, just use an overlay, but the more I see this done then it makes me think I may try it.
    Thanks so much! It's going to be a beauty! Judith Lockhart

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great idea! Now you can put the brown fabrics away and stitch away with your brown thread. It looks like this will go pretty fast? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great, I love reading about your applique process, your work is so good. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet, I prep my stem similar to yours, I use pigma pen gives me a very thin line. My Elmer's glue looks just like yours I have the pink point protectors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done Janet - you're half way there with the borders! not long now! Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will say it again...you are incredible! You will have this one finished in no time. xo

    ReplyDelete