Thursday, September 9, 2010

Roseville Obsession...Confession?

I've no self-discipline--I've started the Roseville, and what fun!

I chose one of the large Roseville panels to start. I'm not sure why other than I was drawn to the basket of eggs. The pieces are only glued on (except for the bird's nest), and it is still very much a work in process.  I've been moving the berries and leaves around quite a bit, so several are in the wrong locations but are merely "auditioning" fabrics for that spot. If you see anything you think I should change at this point, PLEASE let me know.

Also, I'm stumped as to fabric for the birds in the upper right corner (see the empty spot!). The fabric that Kim used on hers is so wonderful that I am having a hard time seeing the birds in any other fabric, but don't know which fabric she used, and doubt that I have it. (Would love if someone could identify it for me--I am interested in the bird body fabric of the two larger birds with the worm in the right hand area) I realize that even the exact fabric wouldn't look the same on mine since the other pieces are different, but for some reason it is just stuck in my brain, and I think if I could see the fabric, I could move on. Do you ever have that problem when working with a pattern?
 
The method I'm using is to glue freezer paper on the front, then to crease the seam allowances and glue to the back of each piece, then I pull the paper off and lightly glue the pieces into their places with some freedom so I can stitch the adjoining pieces where they need stitching. I haven't ever done this method before, but it seems to be working ok except on the pieces with the tight curves, which I've left alone and will do as they're stitched. Hopefully this will work--will likely experiment with other methods as I do other blocks--a true learning adventure!


As far as advice for this block, I would recommend you either start at the top, bottom, or middle (choose one) and work from there, but not to jump around from top to bottom like I did.   Also, I would choose fabric for all the birds/squirrel/cat items first, then fill in with leaves and berries.  I have a couple birds in the middle of the panel that are unfinished because I cannot figure out a fabric for them that makes them fit in with the bird on either side of them. (Sadly, I may need to buy a little new fabric!)

12 comments:

  1. Donna, I love your color choices and I am thinking a red bird? I too have many projects going on at the same time. I think it makes life interesting.
    I too started a blog just recently and enjoyed looking at yours! I am working on my second block now and hope to get it posted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Your panel is just gorgeous!
    I'm sorry I don't know what that fun floral is. I know how we get something in our mind's eye and nothing else seems quite right? They were out of the red house fabric when they made my kit and nothing else seems right to me? I hope you find more info or a fabric with that feel...but seeing your work..I don't think you need any advice? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhhh! That panel is just gorgeous!! I cannot wait to have a go at the Roseville Album quilt - but I have to finish cutting my teeth on Lollypop Trees first!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fingers are itching to stitch after seeing your gorgeous panel, it's looking stunning.
    The fabric for those birds is an old one from the Lille collection, it has a tabacco coloured background and sparys of those pink flowers. Why not just use a hot pink in it's place? It's probably the colour more than the print that looks right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. your fabric choices are wonderful. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness, your block is looking fabulous. I'm working on Princess Feathers and until now have managed to resist moving on to Roseville Album, but looking at yours and the others on this blog has nearly tipped me over to getting the pattern and supplies. Oh dear. gosh it's fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann and everyone,
    One of my friends just a quilt with a house using Kaffe's new "Pencil" fabric. It looks like bright clapboard.
    Might want to consider trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your panel is SMASHING, Donna!!! The colors and fabrics almost vibrate with FUN and beauty!!! It LOOKS like you are REALLY enjoying yourself!!! Thanks for sharing. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh Donna, what a gorgeous panel!! you've done well with the colours and fabrics. The pink fabric for the birds was from the Lille range - use the Phillip Jacob's one with the pink roses in the previous collection, it has lots of colours in it. The birds' feathers were from an old Kaffe fabric called Organic stripe and the Cabbage leaves, you can perhaps try the Ombre - this line is really useful for applique, it has many colours in the one fabric - or try the Mirage. Basically, you'll find all the Kaffes & Brandon's & Phillip's will work pretty much together as they use the same kind of dyes.
    Looking really fantastic Donna, keep it up! Cheers, Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your block Donna, the colours you have chosen are fabulous, I'm sure you will work out what fabric to use for the birds. such a happy block.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone, and thanks especially for the fabric & colors suggestions on the birds--really appreciate your help!

    ReplyDelete