Thursday, September 16, 2010

Tools of the Trade, Machine Applique Edition

On Sept. 8 Kellie contributed the first "Tools of the Trade" post to this blog.  I've enjoyed seeing all of the little bags and boxes, the needle cases, the little thread holders, etc. that people have.  Something's been missing from those posts, though--

Make room for the sewing machine.

Machine applique has its own set of toys and tools.  Here are a few that I've found useful:
I like Heat-N-Bond lightweight fusible.  A Bic mechanical pencil and scissors for tracing and cutting.  The plastic bin is for the leftover pieces of fusible.









                                                                                   An iron and ironing board.
Stitch #32 on my sewing machine (sorry for the poor quality picture, but you get the idea).  It's a narrow satin stitch that I really love for the Lollipop Trees blocks.









Thread is an easy reach from the sewing machine.

I love this plastic foot for applique--makes it really easy to see where you're going!










Now here are some optional accessories everyone can use!

7 comments:

  1. Aha! I'm missing those last two ingredients. With those maybe I'd like doing machine work better? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know one thing...they help with machine quilting!!!! ;-) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is ALWAYS room for chocolate and wine!!! ; ) Now that's my kind of stitching, Linda.

    I don't use fusibles often, but when I do, it's Heat 'n Bond light for me too! I know LOTS of folks use Steam a Seam lite, but I just do NOT. I can't say enough GOOD things about Heat 'n Bond.

    Thanks for your post, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great suggestion, wine AND chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have been missing the last two items. Tonight is the Friday Night Sew In and I will be doing machine applique. I think I need to make a pit stop and then begin my evening. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay - the Godiva choc is definitely a must!! Yummy fabric under the sewing foot too. Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, love the optional accessories!!!

    ReplyDelete