Wednesday, January 5, 2011

One Panel - One Month


I started this fabulous quilt a little over a month ago and I've just finished the large panel at the bottom. I work full time - one of life's many unfortunate distractions - so this will take me some time to finish the whole top.
For the large panel, I used wool for the trees and I love the diversity of the textiles. But in hindsight I think I went a little crazy with the prints by giving so much "character" to the animals and birds and could have done a better job color coordinating these prints a bit more. Oh well. The wool is a great idea though (thanks Amy G!) because this is a tricky image and with wool you don't have to turn the edge under!
I will post progress as I go - as so many of you are doing. I'm guessing 18 months to finish?
Teresa in Houston

12 comments:

  1. It's really fun with the animals, I love the trees, they have a gorgeous glow to them. Some quilts take a while to make, keep nibbling away and it'll be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the use of wool for the trees! I think this panel is wonderful and has tons of personality :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your panel is beautiful! Using wool for the trees was a great idea. It will add extra texture to the quilt.
    I like your animals..they're fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, it is exuberant and oh sew FUN!!! : ) I just LOVE it!!! Your use of colors and prints is divine. The "character" is perfect. I can't wait to see more...!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. no no love the animals, Put a big smile on my face tonight. I can't wait to start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the crowd ... the color (and character) choices for the animals are wonderful. What a wonderful quilt to sew on during the winter months!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with all of the others. I love your choices for the animals. very fun fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys have just made my day! Thanks for the positive feedback. Why are we our own worst critic?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exuberant animals--they are wonderful! Such fun! Love your floral bull and the pig's fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. really interested in your choice of wool for the trees - I presume by wool you mean a sort of felt so that it does not fray at all. Am I right?
    Louisa from London UK

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used 100% wool. I don't think felt will work as well because it will fray. Real wool will not fray and if you cut the edges carefully and clean you can just plop it right down and applique it straight on there with the raw edges. Most good quilt stores will have some wools - there are lots of good online sources as well. Let me know if you need more info. Wool is pricey - so they usually sell it in smaller pieces which is great for quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your animals!!! My favorites are the yellow polka dot horse and the cows! They are so much fun and make me smile. Remember the journey of a 1000 miles begins with one step and you have made many. Enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete